Organizing Your Storage for Hurricane Season
What to store at home and what to store off-site
Items commonly stored off-site in seasonal storage during hurricane season include:
- Holiday decorations
- Boats and RVs
- Sporting and Camping equipment
- Pool toys and patio furniture
- Children’s toys, bikes, and trampolines
- Lightweight barbecue grills
- Motorcycles and spare automobiles
Three step plan for organizing storage
Many Floridians utilize storage units for daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonal storage needs. This helps keep housing costs low, so that you don’t have to pay the same amount on storage space as you pay in your home. It also gives you a chance to organize your storage. Here are three steps to organizing your storage needs and keeping a good storage system in place.
- Store least used items off site. That means you will want to first store items like holiday decorations and the boat you take out twice a year. Storing your motorcycle might not be a good idea if you use it every Sunday. However, that said, there are convenient storage units available that are great for personal and business storage needs, whether you need daily or monthly storage.
- Write down what you have in storage. The biggest trick to keeping it organized is simply keeping a record of what you have where. This could be a notebook, a Google document, or a clipboard you keep by the door at the storage unit. Knowing what you have stored where becomes important if you have multiple properties and live only part of the year in Florida.
- Don’t overstuff your storage space. If you’ve ever opened a closet and had boxes fall down, you know how frustrating it can be to have overstuffed storage space. Whether it’s your bedroom closet, or your garage, you will benefit greatly by keeping things tidy and organized. Allow for a little extra space so you can walk around and easily access your items while they’re in storage.
Need a clean, secure storage unit in South Florida? Contact Value Store It today to learn more or reserve a spot.